This article by Ryan Deiss, points out how important the indirect influence of Social Media is or can be. Its not directly measurable but Ryann demonstrates how social does effect consumers and travel shoppers behavior.
To some extent this can be tracked with Google analytic using the MODEL COMPARISON TOOL
With this we can track the last interaction which is the typical model, but one can also track the first interaction or several other parameters as in:
- Last Interaction – The last click gets 100% attribution
- Last Non-Direct Click – The last click (excluding Direct visits) gets 100% credit
- Last AdWords Click – The last click from an AdWords ad gets 100% credit
- First Interaction – The first visit within the Lookback Window (up to 90 days prior) gets 100% credit.
- Linear – Each visit within the Lookback Window gets equal credit.
- Time Decay – More recent visits within the Lookback Window get more credit while older visits within the Lookback Window get less credit.
- Position Based – The First and Last visits within the Lookback Window split attribution.
Its a bit of a puzzel to read but very helpful to gauage how social media is preforming.. see more at